Thursday, August 04, 2016

Day 34, well, actually day 1 of 40

Preface to this entire series, no I'm not turning my blog into a bible study (well not at this point, it isnt my intention). However it is just a sounding board, since I think when I write and as my fingers flow over the keys so does the path of logic build itself in my mind. I dont expect anyone to still be reading this so I consider it a safe place. This is more for my own thoughts than for reading so if one does stumble upon this I beg your forgiveness.

Today at the start of this "book" James kicks off with only 1 verse but the writer manages to draw a slew of lessons from it. Presented here is James 1:1

"James, slave of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ"

His first point is the lack of titles, despite the many roles biblical scholars have identified James to fill, he humbly refers to himself as no more than a fellow slave to God and Christ. Do we, or do I have that level of humility?

On first thought, no I don't care about titles or positions, they're more troublesome than they're worth, bringing with them responsibilities and obligations. Yet I am not "humble", not enough at least- there is some pride in being a "leader", the same pride that hinders one's capacity to take a step back and admit that I too need help. How is a "leader" supposed to be a "leader" if they're flawed themselves? This thinking is entrenched in the thought patterns of man, but a spiritual leader should be no less an example... difference being what makes one a leader is no their own capability or achievement.

To lead in servanthood, in sacrifice, in bringing glory to God. Acknowledging my own helplessness is a starting step towards going back to the roots of not even leadership but Christian living. Do I need God? Have I managed for so long without His presence that I have gotten used to living as I am? This reminds me of a sermon a few weeks back wherein Psalms 51:11 was shared~

"Do not cast me from your presence of take your Holy Spirit from me."

David at the point where he recognised he had sinned was desperate to keep the presence of God. How different this instinct is compared to now when sin would lead to one shunning God's presence - a terrible misstep that compounds error upon error leading one further and further away.

And though I may be early by a few days, reading on brings me to James 1:22-25

22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says.23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.

Its been a while since I looked in the mirror, and not liking what was seen have taken to covering the mirrors rather than changing. 

I havent even touched on the other points the writer brought out of that tiny line today but I've gotten enough to start working on. How do I go back?

No comments: